Dry Eye Syndrome
Dry eye syndrome is prevalent in Palm Springs because of our desert environment with low humidity. Contact lens wear, LASIK, and certain medications can also contribute to dry eyes by decreasing tear production or tear quality. Dry eyes can lead to red, irritated eyes and frequent infections when there are insufficient tears to cleanse, lubricate and nourish the front surface of the eyes. The quality and quantity of tears also affects your vision by providing a smooth optical surface to see through.
Take the self test below. If you have any of these symptoms, you may suffer from a dry eye or tear disorder.
Treatment includes: artificial tears, nutritional supplements, punctal plugs, medication, and warm compresses. Our treatment goals are to alleviate your symptoms, and to prevent or reverse ocular surface damage that may cause a deterioration of vision.
Please call our office if you would like to schedule a dry eye evaluation and consultation. 760-327-8528
Do you experience any of the following eye symptoms?
- Eyes unusually sensitive to cigarette smoke, smog, air conditioning, central heating?
- Eye irritation upon awakening?
- Are your eyes dry and irritated the day after drinking alcohol?
- Do you have any of these conditions?
- Do you suffer from arthritis?
- Do you suffer from a thyroid abnormality?
- Do you sleep with your eyes partially open?
- Sjogren’s Syndrome
- Long work hours
- Insomnia or sleep deprivation
- Extended computer use
- Work in an environment that has air conditioning? Heating? Dust and debris? Smoke filled?
- Do you take any of the following medications?
- Antihistamine tablets
- Antihistamine eye drops
- Sleeping pills
- Oral contraceptives
- Medication for duodenal ulcer
- Medication for digestive problems
- High blood pressure pills
- Acne medication